Wednesday 2 April 2014

Twenty-one Again

Ian's friend Tom celebrated his twenty-first birthday recently and I offered to make a card for Ian to give him promising that I'd keep it simple.  The thought I'd had was to use the Woodware 21 stamp to make a simple topper to layer on to a 6"x 6" card.  However Ian asked if he could have some creative input and if I had a saxophone stamp then would I use it on the card somewhere as Tom likes jazz music.  As part of his birthday celebrations they'd arranged to take him to one of the local jazz nights. Although I have many stamps a saxophone one I didn't but a peel-off I did and this was the end result of our creative colaboration.



As well as using the Woodware 21 stamp to make a topper for the front of the card it was also used to decorate the backing papers.  The 21 stamp was stamped with VersaMark ink and embossed using Stampendous Disco Black embossing powder.  The topper was paper pieced, embossed using a random dots embossing folder and framed and layered using Spellbinders square dies.   The backing  papers used on this card are from the Cuddly Buddly download A Patchwork of Papers Blue.

To bring in Ian's jazz theme the panel behind the topper was decorated with peel off jazz instruments and musical notes and then spritzed with silver metallic ink.


Backing papers stamped with the 21 stamp were also used to decorate the panel behind the front of the card.


 A panel with a verse printed from the computer was attached to the other side with room left for a personal message.


Navy grosgrain ribbon and silver brads were added as embellishments to finish off the card.  I enjoyed finding another use and layout for this stamp as I'm not very adventurous at thinking beyond using a stamp for it's image.  This means that my stamps aren't being used to their full potential as there are now so many different techniques and mediums out there to use with stamps.

 A few of my crafting friends have been taking part in on line stamping and stenciling courses and by doing these they now have a collection of samples and references on various techniques and styles to use their stamps and stencils with which is a great source of inspiration for future projects.  By doing these courses it also means that those items you buy with great intentions have a greater chance of being used.

Thanks for reading today
Liz xxx 

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! I hope he enjoys it. Thanks for playing along at the Clear it out challenge blog. See you Tuesday for a brand new challenge!

    ReplyDelete