Friday 3 June 2011

Penny Black Saturday Challenge - One for the Girlies


I really enjoyed making this card for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge, "One for the Girlies", this week.  The Penny Black image I've used is 3965K Primp.  It was stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and coloured with Promarkers.  My Promarker colouring is still pretty basic but as long as I have a picture guide I don't mind having a go.  There are usually three or four practice attempts before I find the colours I want to put together.  Just have to keep practising.  I had a lesson on how to shade with greys at the "Girls Just Want To have Fun" craft day and Debbi from the class is coming to visit our craft group on the 11th of June so I hope to learn some more then.  When I now complete a project I stamp out the image again on a spare piece of card and record on it the pens I used so hopefully this will save time when I come to colour it again.  Just have to remember where I've put the piece of card.  This is a truly matted and layered project.  There are eight square layers under the main image.  The message was created using a word programme on the computer and die cut using nestabilities. 
As soon as I saw this stamp I thought it would go well with several Quickutz dies I already had, however it has taken until now to get around to putting them together on a card.  That's what makes doing these challenges so good as it forces you to make the projects you had in mind when you buy all your crafty bits and pieces but never actually get around to making them. This one is going to be set aside for my niece's 11th birthday in August.  For once I'm ahead of the game.

The base card is a white 20.5cm square card

Papers used
Dovecraft 8x8 Designer Paper Pack - Glamour Prints 
Bright pink card from WH Smith card pack
Pale pinks and green card from stash
White textured and pearlescent card from The Papeterie, Aberdeen
Mirri-card from Create and Craft
Happy Birthday paper from a Cuddly Buddly download, A Patchwork of Papers - Pink
Scraps of card to make up the die cuts in colours to match the backing paper

Tools used
Quickutz Double Die - KS-0407 - Comb
Quickutz Double Die - KS-0405 - Makeup
Quickutz Single Die - RS-0308 - Lips
Quickutz Single Die - RS-0423 -Purse
Quickutz Single Die - RS-0156 -Scalloped Tag
Spellbinders Nestabilities Petite Scalloped Circles - Large
Spellbinders Nestabilities Regular Circles - Large
Chalks

Embellishments
Bling Bling self adhesive crystals from
Heart, number and crystal dot peel-offs
Dovecraft Coloured Brads
Gingham Ribbon

Top Tip for this project would have to be to chalk the ends of the makeup applicator die cuts to match the colours in the makeup palette

Thanks for reading.
Liz x

1 comment: