Friday 27 April 2012

Guest Designer for Fussy and Fancy


This is the card I put together for my Guest Designer spot over at the Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge Blog. I recently entered their challenge "Anything but Square/Rectangle" with this card and as a result was chosen to be a Guest Designer in their Punches and Dies Challenge.

The main image is called Whispy and is a digital stamp from Krista Smith at Saturated Canary.  It is coloured with Promarkers and to add sparkle I used a second image to make a mask, by cutting away the wings, the petal shaped over skirt and the leg warmers, and then sprayed Crafter's Companion gold glitter spray through it.  I used a gold Promarker pen to sponge ink around the scalloped edged card, the sentiment , the flowers and their centres and a backing layer.

The happy birthday backing paper is from the digital download A Patchwork of Papers Yellow from Cuddly Buddly and the floral paper is a sheet from the Citrus Colossal Paper Pack from Papermania.  The plain card stock is from the Papeterie and the glittered gingham cardstock was bought from Create and Craft.

 
To meet the Punches and Dies challenge I used Grand Nestabilities Labels Four Dies to make the frame and backing layers for Whispy.  The pale yellow layer was made by drawing around one of the dies and cutting it out.  I don't like putting my hand cutting next to die cut edges so I distressed this layer.  A Nestabilities plain oval die was used to cut out the sentiment and backing layers.  The sentiment is from Stampin' up's sincere Salutations stamp set.  The large and medium layered up flowers were cut using Quickutz daisy dies and the small flowers were punched using a Tonic punch.

This card is for my cousin's daughter Chloe who celebrated her 9th birthday on Tuesday.  To personalise the card for her I used letters from a Hero Arts alphabet stamp set to stamp out the letters of her name first in yellow and then with orange over the top to create a shadow effect.  The letters were then punched out using a 3/4 inch Stampin' up punch.  A Woodware 1/2 inch punch was used to make the centre for the medium daisy and the number 9 peel off added for her age.

A few pearls, a brad, crystal dot peel offs, lemon satin ribbon and gold elastic cord were the finishing touches on this card.

Chloe had her first birthday during my first year of card making which is why I can remember when I started this hobby.  It's fun to look back and see how far you've developed through inspiration from other crafters, learning new techniques and adding  to your crafting tools.  Here is that first card.


I don't like having my photograph taken but the one of me on the Fussy and Fancy Challenge blog was taken by my daughter as part of a portrait challenge she took part in at the local camera club.  You can check out more of her work here

Thanks for reading
Liz xx

17 comments:

  1. This is just lovely Liz I have this image and they are so pretty and feminine. Love the yellow colours you have chosen. I was guest DT the other week at Fussy and Fancy! You made me smile about how you have developed with cards I look at my first ones and cringe (mind you I look at them now and cringe too just not as much lol!!). Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Liz and I love the different tones of yellow you've used :-) I'm sure that Chloe will just love this card!

    xx Happy crafting and glittery hugs xx

    Sazzle

    http://sazzlecraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and I love the way you have done the name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz she is my FAV sat canary digi, what a gorgeous card , your blog is super, like your style Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thats so cute, I love the yellows and chloe's name spelled out down the side looks so pretty
    Thank you for playing along with us over on the SC challenge blog
    hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. so stunning liz.i love the colours and really gorgeous image and details ;D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops me again.
    thanks for joining in my theme this week at PFP :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bright card and perfect for our challenge at Cardmadfairy's Digi Days so thanks so much fro joining us this time, Sheila:)X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this - so beautiful. Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge on Paperplay this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Liz. This is a very Beautiful card and image. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card... I do LOVE SC images...
    thanks for joining us over @ Passion for Promarkers this week. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful card and fab image, thanks for joining us at cardmadfairys digi days, hugs sandra dt

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunning. I'm so glad I popped over from MIM to have a closer look.
    Thanks for sharing your creativity.
    Hugs
    Sheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Liz

    I love this image you have used on this fabulous card.
    It is fun to see Chloe's first birthday card as well.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

    Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww so cute, i love this image, its one of my favourites, Fab colours too xx
    Saw u at Make it Monday
    Hugz
    Kenzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely card so pretty! love the colours and glad I came over from MIM for a closer look! hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete