Wednesday 11 April 2012

Watercolour Agapanthus


Back to my favourite stamp again but using a different technique this time.  Recently I read a posting on Brenda's blog, Floral Fantasies, where she had used Letraset AquaMarkers to colour a stamp and then mist it with water before stamping the image. I loved the watercolour effect this created and decided that I could use this technique with my favourite Agapanthus stamp.  I'd bought Aquamarkers from Create and Craft when they were on an offer of buy a set get a set free, with the intention of trying to watercolour with them, but after being hooked in with the bargain I hadn't got around to using them.  Brenda's posting gave me the inspiration to use them in a different way and this is the result.


This made a quick and easy topper.  I misted the stamp with water again to get a second impression and used this as the backing for the sentiment which is from the Stampin' up set Sincere Salutations.  The sentiment and backing layers were cut out using a Nestabilities Labels Four die.  I also used Stampin' ups Rich Razzleberry ribbon, ink and card.

To soften the look of the topper I used a Blitzer (I don't think this gadget is available any more but Stampin' up have a similar item called a Colour Spritzer Tool) and the AquaMarkers to spray a fine mist of the purple shades of ink over the topper and then took some vellum, tore it to fit diagonally over the topper and inked the torn edge to give it definition.  With the other half of the vellum I made corners and stamped them horizontally and vertically with a Hero Arts large canvas stripes stamp to get the plaid effect to match the backing card which is embossed with a Sizzix embossing folder.

I enjoyed putting this card together and am glad I've got another use for AquaMarkers as I don't think water colouring is something I have the skill or patience to master.

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges

Thanks for reading
Liz xx 

18 comments:

  1. I saw that image pop up on my dashboard Liz and was here in a shot, Stampendous P107 (I know, how sad am I) it's my all time favourite stamp as well. If ever I have a crafty block it always get's me back on track.

    So pleased you are enjoying the watercolour technique, just looked at the blue ones below which are all lovely, but I think the purple steals it for me.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous card, I love how you've used your Aquamarkers in this way, and the vellum sets it off beautifully. I couldn't get to grips with these markers, but you've inspired me to try again with this. Thanks for joining in with our Distressing challenge at LIIU, and good luck in the draw.

    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous !! Thanks so much for sharing your distressing at LIIU and good luck, Hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is gorgeous, love the beautiful floral image.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card, Liz. I love the watercolour technique.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card - the technique gives a lovely, subtle effect and looks stunning! Thanks for joining us a LIIU this month for our Distressing Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love the stamping and the SU sentiment. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Purple Frog Challenges. Good luck. Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - thank you for joining us at The Stamping Boutique!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card - really love the image and your colour scheme.
    Thanks for joining us at LIIU.
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this card and have done this easy technique before but I don't think with the success that you have shown. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing on MIM.
    Stamping Shanni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card! I love the rough edges! Thank you so much for joining us at MIM! Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning! Good luck,
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card and great way to use the vellum. the muted image result is so soft. Thanks for joining in The Stamp Man challenge and have a wonderful day. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card!! I love the effect of the torn edges and spritzing of colour.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

    Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This watercolor effect you have going is so lovely.. The vellum inked border looks wonderful.. :) saw this on MIM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely lovely. Great use of new technique. Thank you for sharing and joining in at LIIU. Hugs, Velma

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful card, I love the stamp and the colours you used. I saw it on MIM. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card Liz, and what a great use of vellum and a favourite stamp.
    Thank you for entering my Vellum challenge over at The Stamp Man.
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete